When Tim and I moved into this new house last year it had the usual one tree in front and nothing growing in back but the lawn. As spring rolled around, I found myself wanting to put my own stamp on the backyard. With a little research, here's what I discovered. Lasagna gardening is a "new" organic way to make a flower/vegetable garden without all the back breaking work of digging out the grass and tilling the ground to prepare it for the plants. What you do is layer newspaper, grassclippings, peat moss...repeat like you would a lasagna (thus the name) and let nature take it's course to start composting, killing the grass, and creating great soil. Then I researched some more to see what kind of drought tolerant, heat resistant plants could tolerate the Texas heat. Here is a picture of my wildflower garden. Now remember it's very immature and should look very different when everything is in full bloom and mature.
I know it's hard to see in this picture, but I have sage, lavender, sedum, butterfly weed and two grass clumps that are called blue festuca, which if grow correctly should prove to be quite a show piece because it turns a vibrant blue. I'll keep you posted and take pictures as it continues to mature.
The real piece de resistance for me is this patio tomatoe plant...because store bought tomatoes have NO taste!
No comments:
Post a Comment